Saturday, July 7, 2012

true rest.

every other summer, i've dreaded this break. even back in the day when we only had 3 days off, it was awful: i'd leave my favorite place, and go home, where i would spend the time either alone and bored in my house, surrounded by people yelling in my house, or being pulled in 12 directions as all my friends begged to see me when all i wanted to do was sleep and write and maybe talk about camp(but everyone at home gets bored or irritated pretty quick when i do that).
but this year i got to rest. this week has been perfect. every day of it.
i rest by surrounding myself with people who love me and encourage me, writing, laughing, and being distracted from whatever has gotten me un-rested.

i've been with people i love all week long.

people recharge me. i cannot rest by myself. when i go on breaks during the week, i go crazy sitting in my cabin alone. i leave more stressed out than i was before.
in last saturday's post, i said my heart needed rest. rest from drama. rest from people needing me. i didn't need sleep; i needed to laugh, be around people besides nine year old girls, and just not think for a week. i don't need sleep as long as i'm free from all responsibility, so the following things definitely count as rest:
-staying up until 4:30 playing phase 10
-deep conversations at 7 am when we're awake because we're still on camp time
-a day at carowinds
-playing with fire
-wrestling on cara's trampoline
-videoing everything possible
-eating spaghetti and playing bananagrams at midnight
among other things.
we didn't think about camp. we didn't follow any schedule. we just ate all the time, laughed every five minutes, almost died, blew things up, tried to freeze our hands off, and tested our true friendship.

God gave me everything i needed, and now i'm totally ready to go back.
five more weeks. it feels like we've already been here for ten, but now i feel like i could do ten more if i needed to. =]
pray for us this week as we have an almost full camp again!!! and pray for me that i'll remember to keep resting during the week so i won't get so desperate for a break again. as much as i've loved spending time in the real world with camp people, i never like wanting to be away from camp. it's home. so pray that i'll get on the ball with my Jesus time, and ask people for help when i need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment